To guarantee the patient the most effective healthcare approach, the Institute has established the Interdisciplinary Care Groups (GIC).
The GICs are operational units in the Piedmontese Oncology Network and are composed of doctors from different specialist areas (oncologists, radiation therapists, surgeons, organ specialists, etc.) who, at different times, during the course of the disease, take the patient into their care and administer the most appropriate therapeutic treatment, decided upon collegially with a multidisciplinary approach.
The GICs are composed of specialists from all specialities involved in the various types of clinical path of oncology patients and guarantee:
- the taking into care of the patient for the whole diagnostic-therapeutic process, including prescriptions and booking of tests;
- collegial discussion of the cases treated, intended to apply univocal therapeutic protocols compliant with guidelines and the standards of the sector;
- the potential inclusion of the patient, if consenting, in experimental protocols regularly approved by the relevant bodies;
- communication with the patient and with their relatives, in the full respect of the professional code of ethics and of the general and specific legal regulations.
At the Istituto di Candiolo nine GICs are operational corresponding to the type of neoplasia treated
- Breast Cancer
- Gynaecological Tumour
- Tumour of the Digestive System
- Urological Tumour
- Haematological Tumour
- Colo-Rectal Tumour
- Sarcomas-Rare Tumours
- Skin Cancer
- ENT Tumours